- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- black pepper
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 8 shallots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oven to 425° F. Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, rosemary, honey, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a 9-by-13-inch or another shallow 3-quart baking dish. Add the chicken, turn to coat, and place skin-side down.
- Toss the shallots with the oil in a medium bowl and arrange on top of the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes. Turn the pieces skin-side up and continue to roast, basting occasionally, until the shallots are tender, the chicken is glazed, and a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh registers 165° F, 15 to 20 minutes more. (Tent the dish loosely with foil if the chicken browns too quickly.)