- 8 ounces smoked whitefish or mackerel fillet (sold near the smoked salmon in the supermarket), skin and bones removed, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, plus more for serving
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- pinch cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine the fish, crème fraîche, chives, lemon zest and juice, cayenne pepper, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Drizzle the sourdough toasts with the oil and cut into triangles. Spread the fish on the toasts. Sprinkle with chives and serve with the lemon wedges on the side.