- 2 ham hocks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound green split peas
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 32-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Rinse the ham hocks and place them in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker along with the peas, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, broth, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Cook, covered, until the meat is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Transfer the ham hocks to a plate and let sit until cool enough to handle, at least 10 minutes. Shred the meat and stir it into the soup.