- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 2-pound boneless pork shoulder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- Chopped avocado, cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco or Feta, for serving
- Combine the cumin, paprika, oregano, 1½ teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Coat the pork with this mixture, then transfer to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the onion, broth, tomatoes, hominy, and beans and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the pork is tender, on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Shred the pork using 2 forks and mix it into the cooking liquid. Stir in the lime juice and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve the soup topped with the avocado, cilantro, cheese, and lime wedges.
Tip: Cut down on grease in the broth by trimming the pork fat before cooking.
Total Time Range: 4 hours, 20 minutes to 7 hours, 20 minutes