Food Recipes Slow Cooker Chicken Tostadas 5.0 (1) 1 Review Tangy chicken tops crispy tortillas in this easy weeknight dinner. By Pam Lolley Pam Lolley Pam Lolley has more than 30 years of experience in the culinary industry. She was the owner and operator of a catering and baking company for eight years prior to joining Southern Living Magazine in their test kitchen in 2003. While at Southern Living, Pam developed nine of the iconic Big White Cakes for the Christmas issue along with several desserts, cakes, and pies that have been featured on Southern Living covers through the years. Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on October 10, 2022 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Caitlin Bensel Hands On Time: 15 mins Total Time: 4 hrs 15 mins Servings: 4 Jump to Nutrition Facts For the tenderest chicken ever, turn to your slow cooker. This recipe transforms boneless, skinless chicken thighs into juicy, salsa-infused meat, perfect for topping tostadas—aka toasted or fried corn tortillas. You'll top each tostada with shredded chicken, a quick DIY pico de gallo, and crumbled queso fresco. It's a simple, delicious meal that the whole family will love. Serve with rice and beans, or pair with a bowl of guacamole and tortilla chips. Shortcut tip: If you're crunched for time, store-bought pico de gallo can stand in for homemade. Ingredients 2 white onions, halved 1.50 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs 1 16-oz. jar tomatillo salsa 2 poblano chiles, seeded and cut into 1-in. pieces (about 2 cups) 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided 3 large plum tomatoes, diced (2 cups) 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime), plus wedges for serving 8 corn tostadas 2.50 ounces queso fresco (fresh Mexican cheese), crumbled (about ½ cup) Directions Chop 1 onion half to measure ½ cup; set aside. Chop remaining onion halves into 4 wedges each. Stir onion wedges, chicken, salsa, poblanos, and ¾ teaspoon salt in the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until tender, 4 to 5 hours. Using 2 forks, shred chicken in the slow cooker. Meanwhile, make the pico de gallo: Stir tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, reserved chopped onion, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use or for up to 12 hours. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, top each tostada with about ¾ cup chicken mixture, 2 tablespoons pico de gallo, and 1 tablespoon queso fresco. Serve with lime wedges. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 525 Calories 16g Fat 46g Carbs 43g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 4 Calories 525 % Daily Value * Total Fat 16g 21% Saturated Fat 6g 30% Cholesterol 11mg 4% Total Carbohydrate 46g 17% Dietary Fiber 6g 21% Total Sugars 14g Protein 43g *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.