- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole farro
- 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved and sliced
- 1 3-inch piece Parmesan rind and 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus more grated for serving
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Combine the broth, farro, mushrooms, leeks, Parmesan rind, bay leaf, nutmeg, 1¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with the chicken.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 4 to 4 ½ hours or on high for 3 to 3 ½ hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Discard the Parmesan rind and bay leaf. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken into large pieces. Stir in the butter and grated Parmesan.
- Sprinkle the risotto with the parsley and serve with additional grated Parmesan.