- 1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 pound assorted bell peppers, sliced (about 3)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 cup polenta
- Basil leaves, for serving
- Combine the tomatoes (with their juices), bell peppers, onion, oregano, garlic, and ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper; place on top of the tomato mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Shred the meat into large chunks. Spoon off any excess fat from the liquid.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the polenta according to the package directions. Serve the polenta topped with the beef stew and basil.
* Total Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes to 8 hours, 20 minutes