- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ pounds hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 pounds frozen pizza dough, at room temperature
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Heat ¼ cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the sausage and break into small pieces. Cook, undisturbed, until browned, 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, line two 8-by-13-inch baking sheets with parchment. Stretch 1 ball of the dough until it reaches the edges of a baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Dimple the dough with your fingers. Repeat with the second ball. Bake both crusts for 5 to 7 minutes, until puffy and dry on top. Remove the crusts from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 500°F. Cool the crusts completely.
- Divide the mozzarella between the 2 pizzas and dollop each with the marinara. Divide the sausage between the pizzas, along with the fennel, serrano peppers, Parmesan, and black pepper.
- Bake on the bottom rack until the crust is brown and the top is bubbly, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice each pizza into 8 pieces.
How to freeze and reheat: Tightly wrap each sheet tray with 2 layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Bake the pizzas directly from the freezer according to the recipe, adding 8 to 10 minutes to the cooking time.