- 1/4 pound Italian sweet or spicy sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 14 1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 11-ounce bag frozen okra
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Creole (or Old Bay) seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 scallions, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined), cut into thirds
- 1/2 pound crabmeat
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place the sausage in a saucepan and fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, celery, and green pepper and cook until softened (but not browned), about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, okra, and reserved sausage, cover, and bring to a boil. Continue cooking, covered, over high heat for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/2 cup of water. Stir the flour mixture, salt, spices, and Worcestershire sauce into the pot, cover, and cook over high heat for another 10 minutes.
- Add the scallions, shrimp, and crabmeat, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, stir in the parsley, and remove from heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.
Adapted from Lucy Buffett's Crazy Sista Seafood Gumbo recipe.