- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus sprigs
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, the tomatoes and their juices, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, the red pepper flakes, and ¼ cup water. Bring to a boil.
- Nestle the sausages in the skillet, spooning the vegetables over them.
- Transfer to oven and cook, uncovered, until the sausages are cooked through, about 25 minutes. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Divide the sausage and ratatouille among individual plates and add the parsley sprigs.