- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 jalapenos, minced (with seeds)
- 12 corn muffins or two 8 1/2-ounce corn-bread mixes, prepared and crumbled (10 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 14-ounce can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage or 1 heaping tablespoon dried sage
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and jalapenos, breaking up the meat and cooking until it is no longer pink. Drain the fat.
- Add the corn bread. Fold in the pumpkin, broth, cranberries, and sage. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) For drier stuffing, omit the broth.
- To fake it...and save 30 minutes: Prepare one 16-ounce bag corn-bread-stuffing mix according to the label directions, omitting any butter and all but 1 cup of the liquid that's called for on the label. Fold in one 15-ounce can pumpkin, one 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, 1 cup dried cranberries, and one 2.8-ounce package cooked bacon, chopped. Total time: 45 minutes.