- 1 pound spicy Italian pork sausage (about 4 links), casings removed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14.5-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-in. Italian bread loaf, halved lengthwise, toasted
- 6 ounces sliced low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Using your hands, gently mix sausage, eggs, bread crumbs, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper in a medium bowl until just combined. Form mixture into 12 1½-inch balls and place on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs to sauce and toss to coat. Move oven rack 6 inches from heat and increase heat to broil.
- Place bottom half of bread, cut side up, on baking sheet. Top with meatballs, sauce, and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven and top with basil. Cover with top half of bread and cut into 4 pieces.