- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds total), cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup pesto
- Heat oven to 400° F. Toss the chicken, potatoes, onion, chickpeas, garlic, oil, paprika, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet (leaving the chicken on top). Roast until the vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a breast and thigh registers 165° F, 50 minutes to 1 hour, 10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables with the pesto.