- 3 butternut squash (2 pounds each)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 small shallots, halved
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 400° F. Trim the ends from the squash, then halve lengthwise, discarding the seeds. Transfer the squash, cut-side up, to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or foil. Season with the salt and pepper and top with the shallots, honey, thyme, and butter.
- Cover the squash with foil. Roast until softened, 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover and set aside until cool enough to handle. Working in batches, scoop some of the softened squash and shallots from the peels into a food processor.
- Puree the squash mixture until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining squash and shallots. Serve warm.