- 4 small onions, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 4-pound boneless rib or rump roast
- Heat oven to 375° F. In a roasting pan, toss the onions, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Push the onions to the edges of the pan. Season the beef with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper and place in the center of the pan.
- Roast the beef to the desired doneness, 65 to 80 minutes for medium-rare (remove from oven when the internal temperature registers 125° F).
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for at least 15 minutes. Slice and serve with the onions.