Food Recipes Quinoa With Sweet Potatoes, Kale, and Pesto 4.0 (117) With 14 grams of protein per serving, this is one vegetarian meal with serious staying power. By Charlyne Mattox Charlyne Mattox Charlyne Mattox is the food and crafts director at Country Living and former staff food editor at Real Simple. She has over 20 years of experience in the media industry. Charlyne is also the author of the recipe book, Cooking with Seeds, published in 2015. Highlights: * Over 20 years of experience in the media industry * Former associate food editor, Martha Stewart Living - 9 years * Former staff food editor, Real Simple - 4 years * Current food and crafts director, Country Living - nearly 8 years * Author of Cooking with Seeds, published 2015 Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on October 29, 2022 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Anna Williams Hands On Time: 30 mins Total Time: 35 mins Yield: 8 serves Jump to Nutrition Facts This hearty vegetarian meal works overtime when you reserve half the quinoa and vegetables for tomorrow night's dinner. Ingredients 2 cups quinoa, rinsed ½ cup olive oil 3 small sweet potatoes (about 11/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces kosher salt and black pepper 1 medium red onion, sliced 2 bunches kale (1 1/4 pounds), thick stems removed and leaves cut into bite-size pieces (about 14 cups) pesto and toasted walnuts, for serving Directions Cook the quinoa according to the package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, tossing occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown and soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the onion to the pot and cook, tossing occasionally, until the sweet potatoes and onion are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add as much kale to the pot as will fit and cook, tossing frequently and adding more kale when there is room, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Reserve half the quinoa and vegetables for tomorrow's dinner. Serve the remaining vegetables over the remaining quinoa, topped with the pesto and walnuts. Reheat and serve:Microwave the quinoa and vegetables in a microwave-safe dish covered with a damp paper towel on high for 2 to 3 minutes, tossing halfway through. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 528 Calories 32g Fat 52g Carbs 14g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 528 % Daily Value * Total Fat 32g 41% Saturated Fat 5g 25% Cholesterol 5mg 2% Sodium 416mg 18% Total Carbohydrate 52g 19% Total Sugars 5g Protein 14g Calcium 254mg 20% Iron 7mg 39% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.