- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 16 slices pumpernickel or white bread
- 2 ounces Gruyere, grated (about ½ cup)
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- Spread the pumpkin puree on half of the bread, dividing evenly. Top with the cheese and the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Melt ½ tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the sandwiches, in batches and turning once (adding an additional ½ tablespoon of butter to the skillet for each batch), until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Use 3-inch pumpkin-shaped cookie cutters to cut the sandwiches into shapes.