Food Recipes Tomato Mushroom Pasta 4.0 (445) 3 Reviews For a quick dinner idea that cooks in 30 minutes and is also vegetarian, try this tomato mushroom pasta recipe. By Kate Merker Kate Merker Kate Merker is the chief food director at Hearst Magazines. She has over two decades of experience producing food content for print and digital publications, including Real Simple. Highlights: * At Real Simple, Kate worked her way up from editorial assistant to senior food editor * Served as food and nutrition director at Woman's Day for seven years * Joined Hearst Magazines as chief food director (2017) Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on February 27, 2019 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Antonis Achilleos Hands On Time: 25 mins Total Time: 30 mins Yield: 4 serves Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 pound penne 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 medium onions, diced 1 teaspoon kosher salt ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3 cloves garlic, minced 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced ⅓ cup dry red wine 4 cups torn escarole (optional) ¾ cup chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley and oregano) 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes 1 cup thinly sliced basil leaves ½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Directions Cook the penne according to the package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and cook, covered, until the onions are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook, covered, for 6 minutes more. Add the wine and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir in the escarole (if desired), chopped herbs, and remaining salt and pepper, and cook for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and heat through. Stir in basil. Transfer the pasta to plates, spoon the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the cheese. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 686 Calories 17g Fat 109g Carbs 28mg Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 686 % Daily Value * Total Fat 17g 22% Saturated Fat 5g 25% Cholesterol 15mg 5% Sodium 815mg 35% Total Carbohydrate 109g 40% Protein 28g Calcium 320mg 25% Iron 8mg 44% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.