Food Recipes Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Men 3.8 (389) 3 Reviews By Cynthia Nicholson Cynthia Nicholson Cynthia has been a writer, editor, and producer for national publications like Cooking Light, Country Living, and Real Simple, among others. She was a recipe developer at Real Simple starting in 2005. Passionate about food, wine, and travel, Cynthia turned her enthusiasm into a tour business. Highlights: * Over 15 years of experience as a writer and editor * Owner of The Farmhouse Table, providing small-group food and wine culture tours Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on December 9, 2015 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Hector Sanchez Hands On Time: 1 hrs Total Time: 3 hrs 30 mins Yield: 36 serves Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda ¾ teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons ground ginger 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg ½ teaspoon ground cloves 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 cup packed light brown sugar 1 large egg, at room temperature 1 cup unsulfured molasses 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Directions Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium until smooth. Add the molasses and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture 1 cup at a time, blending until smooth. The dough should gather into a semi-firm mass. (If it's not firm, add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour, but not enough to make it crumbly.) Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Flatten into disks and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 week. Preheat oven to 350° F. On a floured surface, roll each disk to 1/8 inch thick. Use gingerbread-man cutters to make shapes. Transfer them to a large, parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Decorate, if desired. Bake until firm to the touch, about 12 minutes. Cool slightly before transferring to a rack. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 164 Calories 5g Fat 27g Carbs 2mg Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 164 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5g 6% Saturated Fat 3g 15% Cholesterol 19mg 6% Sodium 92mg 4% Total Carbohydrate 27g 10% Protein 2g Calcium 32mg 2% Iron 2mg 11% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.