- 1 just-about-empty jar of Dijon mustard or 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Open the lid to the mustard jar (or use a clean jar and add the 2 tsp mustard to it) and add the vinegar, olive oil, honey, garlic, ½ tsp salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Screw on the top and shake vigorously to combine. Season to taste with salt.
- Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week (bring to room temperature before using, as oil tends to solidify when refrigerated).
For a Slightly Greek Dressing: substitute red wine vinegar for the sherry vinegar and add 1 tsp dried oregano.
For a More French Dressing: substitute white wine vinegar for the sherry vinegar and add a minced shallot and a tiny bit of dried herbes de Provence or minced fresh thyme and/or tarragon.
For Seeded Mustard Dressing: simply add a spoonful of seeded mustard along with the Dijon.
For a Really ’80s Dressing: substitute balsamic vinegar for the sherry vinegar.
Reprinted with permission from Small Victories by Julia Turshen, photographs by Gentl + Hyers, Chronicle Books 2016.