- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups strawberries, halved or quartered if large
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cold heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise using a sharp paring knife. Run the dull side of the knife blade down the length of each half, scraping the seeds into an 8-inch square baking pan. Add the strawberries, sugar, and butter and stir. Roast the strawberries until the fruit has collapsed and the juices are thick and syrupy, stirring occasionally, 35 to 45 minutes. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Transfer the cooled strawberries to a large bowl along with all of their syrupy juices. Stir in the condensed milk and the salt. Fold in the whipped cream. Transfer the mixture to a standard metal loaf pan, wrap well with plastic, and freeze until firm, at least 8 hours. Let stand a few minutes at room temperature before scooping to serve.