- 1½ cups cups pitted dates (about 13 ounces), chopped
- 2¼ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds*
- ⅔ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with parchment.
- Pour ¼ cup boiling water over the dates in a small bowl and let soak until very soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the oats, sunflower seeds, and wheat germ on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, tossing once, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Stir together the toasted oats, sunflower seeds, and wheat germ with the raisins, butter, maple syrup, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the dates and knead with your hands until everything is sticky and coated.
- Press the mixture into a flat layer in the prepared baking dish. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour. Cut into 24 bars. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*Check to be sure that the sunflower seeds were processed in a nut-free facility.