- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds button mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, zest, and wine; simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the cream, salt, and pepper. Simmer until the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon.