- 12 ounces multigrain penne
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into half-moons
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and sage and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring twice, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of the Parmesan and the reserved cooking water and simmer, stirring, until the potatoes are fully tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pasta and nutmeg and toss. Divide among individual bowls and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and ½ teaspoon pepper.