- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 300° F. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, and egg yolk until smooth. Stir in the flour, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
- Spread the dough into an ungreased 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan or cookie sheet with sides.
- Beat the egg white in a small bowl with a fork until foamy. Spread evenly over the dough. Sprinkle on the nuts and press them gently into the dough.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the shortbread shrinks slightly from the sides of the pan. Do not overcook; you want them to be a little chewy. Cut diagonally into 3-by-1 1/2-inch bars.
This recipe makes 36 bars.