- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne, optional
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium- high. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add ketchup, sugar, vinegar, mustard, molasses, Worcestershire, onion powder, and cayenne (if using) and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
To Use: Brush onto chicken, shrimp, or pork chops during the last few minutes of grilling. Or use as a dipping sauce for potato wedges or French fries or as a topping for bacon burgers.