- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice, and salt. Add the butter. Set the bowl over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of mayonnaise, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl. Place a piece of parchment or wax paper directly on the surface of the lemon curd and refrigerate until completely cool, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.