Food Recipes Spiced Lamb Meatball and Swiss Chard Stew 3.9 (54) 5 Reviews Clocking only 365 calories per serving, this Spiced Lamb Meatball and Swiss Chard Stew is a great warming, all-in-one supper on a chilly night. The process takes a bit of time—almost an hour—but it’s well worth it and actually quite easy. You’ll start by forming the lamb meatballs, then browning them in a large pot or Dutch oven. Next, you’ll cook the chard stems in the same pot, before adding the broth and cooking the meatballs through. The orzo cooks in the liquid at the end of the process. Homemade meatballs, served in a healthy way, no less? Yes, please. By Chris Morocco Chris Morocco Chris is a senior food editor and test kitchen director at Bon Appétit with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. He wrote for Real Simple for nearly two years, starting in 2013. At Bon Appétit, he also hosts their YouTube series Reverse Engineering, where Chris is tasked to recreate dishes based on his super-tasting abilities (without seeing the dishes he'll be cooking). Highlights: * 10+ years of experience in the food industry * Associate Food Editor, Bon Appétit for nearly 3 years * Staff Food Editor, Real Simple for nearly 2 years * Senior Food Editor and Test Kitchen Director, Bon Appétit for 7 years * Host of Reverse Engineering Bon Appétit YouTube Series * Graduated from International Culinary Center Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on October 25, 2016 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email These easy meatballs, made with paprika and cumin, lend a rich flavor to store-bought stock. Add a handful of bright greens and orzo for a no-fuss Mediterranean meal. Get the recipe.. Photo: Roland Bello Hands On Time: 40 mins Total Time: 50 mins Yield: 6 serves Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped ¾ cup panko bread crumbs 1 teaspoon sweet paprika ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed kosher salt and black pepper 1 pound ground lamb 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large bunch Swiss chard (about 11 ounces total), stems chopped and leaves sliced, separated 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth ½ cup orzo or another small pasta plain yogurt, for serving (optional) Directions Combine the eggs, garlic, bread crumbs, paprika, cumin, 1¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add the lamb and gently mix with your hands until just combined. Form the mixture into 18 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each). Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the meatballs, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 4 to 6 minutes. (They do not need to be cooked through.) Transfer to a plate; reserve the pot. Add the chard stems to the reserved pot. Cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the orzo and simmer until tender, 8 to 11 minutes. Just before serving, fold in the chard leaves. Serve warm topped with the yogurt, if desired. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 365 Calories 19g Fat 25g Carbs 25g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 365 % Daily Value * Total Fat 19g 24% Saturated Fat 6g 30% Cholesterol 131mg 44% Sodium 630mg 27% Total Carbohydrate 25g 9% Total Sugars 3g Protein 25g Calcium 104mg 8% Iron 3mg 17% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.