- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 8.5-ounce box corn muffin mix
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- lime wedges (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Thinly slice the dark green tips of 4 scallions; set aside. Place the remaining scallions in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, allspice, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, black pepper, oil, lime juice, and molasses. Spread the spice mixture over and under the chicken skin. Place the chicken on top of the scallions. Roast until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package directions. Stir in the jalapeño and reserved sliced scallions and scrape the batter into a greased 8-inch-square pan. Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve the chicken with the roasted scallions, corn bread, and lime wedges, if desired.