- 3.5 ounces jelly beans (about ½ cup)
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 225°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the jelly beans in the food processor and process for one minute, or until finely chopped.
- Combine the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat until foamy. Increase the speed to high and gradually add ½ cup sugar until stiff and glossy peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Fold in the chopped jelly beans with a rubber spatula.
- Drop the meringue mixture into mounds on the baking sheet. Bake until firm and dry, 75 to 90 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, beat the heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer until it begins to thicken. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and continue to whip until soft peaks form.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to the flat side of 12 of the meringues. Form sandwiches with the remaining 12 meringues.