- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. With your hands or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Add the raisins and caraway and mix to combine. Add the buttermilk and mix just until the dough comes together but is still slightly shaggy.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead 8 to 10 times until a uniform dough forms. Shape the dough into a 7-inch round, about 1½ inches thick. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and score a large X in the top, about ¾ inch deep. Bake, rotating once, until the bread sounds hallow when tapped on the bottom, 55 to 65 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.