Food Recipes Honey-Ginger Ham 4.0 (2) Add your rating & review This twist on a Coca-Cola glaze ham is glazed with ginger ale—plus honey, crystallized ginger, fresh rosemary, and orange zest. The gorgeous results are crispy-skinned, sweet, and bright with a subtle spicy kick. The ham serves 12, so it’s ideal for entertaining or special-occasion meals. The recipe calls for skin-on picnic shoulder ham, an affordable cut that can also be labeled as pork shoulder or picnic roast. It’s rich in fat and connective tissue, meaning it becomes super tender when it’s roasted. Be sure to slice it carefully, so every piece gets a delicious layer of skin, and serve extra glaze in a small bowl for drizzling. By Robin Bashinsky Robin Bashinsky Chef and recipe developer Robin Bashinsky has spiced up Real Simple, Cooking Light, and other magazines with his focus on bold, global flavors and healthy eating. Highlights: * Award-winning chef at BLUEROOT in Birmingham, Alabama * Previous chef positions at Birmingham-area restaurants, daniel george and Hot and Hot Fish Club * Recipe developer at Cooking Light, Real Simple, and more * Won a James Beard Award for Food Journalism in 2016 and 2017 Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on January 9, 2017 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Jen Causey Hands On Time: 30 mins Total Time: 5 hrs 15 mins Yield: 12 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 (8-lb.) bone-in, skin-on picnic shoulder ham ¼ cup kosher salt 1 cup honey ½ cup ginger ale 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary 2 tablespoons orange zest (from 1 orange) 1 tablespoon black pepper ¼ teaspoon ground cloves Directions Rinse ham, and pat dry. Using a sharp knife, make shallow cuts in fat 1 inch apart in a diamond pattern. Rub ham with salt, making sure to get it in all the cuts. Let ham stand at room temperature 1 hour. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Preheat oven to 300°F. Roast ham in preheated oven until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 135°F, about 3 hours. Increase oven temperature to 425°F. Whisk together honey, ginger ale, ginger, rosemary, orange zest, pepper, and cloves. Baste ham with ¼ cup honey mixture, and return ham to oven. Roast at 425°F until thermometer registers 145°F, about 15 minutes, basting with glaze and any accumulated pan juices every 5 minutes. (You will use about half of glaze.) Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 394 Calories 12g Fat 28g Carbs 43g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 394 % Daily Value * Total Fat 12g 15% Saturated Fat 4g 20% Cholesterol 82mg 27% Sodium 2577mg 112% Total Carbohydrate 28g 10% Total Sugars 25g Protein 43g Calcium 32mg 2% Iron 2mg 12% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.