- 1 cup dried hibiscus blossoms
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced into rounds
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1½ cups vodka or grain spirits
- Combine the hibiscus blossoms, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and orange zest with 2 ½ cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over low heat, then remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Drain off blossoms and spices and discard. Let remaining liquid cool to room temperature. (You should have about 2 cups.)
- Meanwhile, combine brown sugar and ½ cup water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring frequently, until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Combine the cooled hibiscus mixture with the brown sugar syrup and vodka in a large, clean glass jar or bottle. Seal tightly and shake gently to combine. Chill completely before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Serving suggestions: Sip chilled, in small glasses, or mixed with sparkling wine as a spritzer, or as a substitute for Campari in a negroni.