- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus 2 whole lemons, quartered
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 thick slices country bread, torn into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 4 cups baby kale
- Heat oven to 450° F. Toss the chicken, garlic, rosemary, oil, lemon zest, lemon quarters, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, skin-side up, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken (avoiding the bone) registers 165° F, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer the chicken and lemons to a serving dish. Reserve the baking sheet.
- Toss the bread in the drippings on the reserved baking sheet. Toast until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the kale and toss to combine.
- Serve the chicken with the kale, croutons, and lemons for squeezing.