- cornmeal for the pan
- 1 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, cut into thin rings and separated
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- Heat oven to 425º F. Sprinkle a rimmed baking sheet with the cornmeal. Shape the dough into a 14-inch circle and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of the oil and bake until puffed and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the shallots, thyme, the remaining tablespoon of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Top the partially cooked dough with the ham, shallot mixture, and cheese. Bake until the crust is crisp and the cheese has melted, 12 to 15 minutes.