- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1 pound asparagus, peeled and trimmed
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed, crushed (optional)
- Light grill or heat oven broiler. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the tarragon. Pour over the asparagus and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange juice and peel, cayenne, and remaining 1 tablespoon of tarragon and anise seed if using; set aside.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer in a grill rack, or carefully arrange the spears on a grill perpendicular to the grill grate. (If broiling, arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer.) Grill about 7 minutes over medium heat or until tender, turning once after 3 minutes. Or broil 4 inches from the heat source for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Remove the asparagus to a platter and serve with the orange mayonnaise.