- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound bacon
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 10-ounce jar mango or apricot chutney
- 1 small head green-leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- Heat oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, and salt and set aside.
- In the oven, cook the bacon on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes, turning once, until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Toast the bread in the oven until lightly golden, about 2 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip the tomato slices in the egg and then the cornmeal mixture. Pan-fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread 4 slices of bread with the chutney and layer them with the lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon. Top with a second slice of bread. Serve.