Food Recipes Gingerbread Cookies 3.3 (197) 5 Reviews These cookies are perfect for the holidays or anytime you want a taste of ginger and cinnamon. By Sara Quessenberry Sara Quessenberry Sara Quessenberry is a recipe developer, food stylist, and cookbook author with nearly two decades of experience in the culinary arts. She was a food stylist and recipe developer at Real Simple for five years. She's currently the food director at doitDelicious.com. Highlights: * Food director at doitDelicious.com * Collaborates with Jessica Seinfeld on recipes for her cookbooks and website * Wrote an award-winning cookbook, The Good Neighbor Cookbook Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on August 29, 2014 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Lucas Allen Hands On Time: 25 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 15 mins Yield: 36 medium cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface 1 ¼ teaspoons ground ginger 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon ground cloves ¼ teaspoon kosher salt ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature ⅔ cup granulated sugar ½ cup molasses 1 large egg 1 cup confectioners' sugar Directions Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until smooth. Add the molasses and egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes. On a floured surface, roll the dough to ¼ inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut into shapes; place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Place confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl; gradually whisk in 1 tablespoon water until a thick icing forms. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and snip a small hole in one corner. Decorate cookies as desired and let set. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Serving Notes Total time includes cooling time Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 164 Calories 5g Fat 28g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 164 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5g 6% Saturated Fat 3g 17% Cholesterol 25mg 8% Sodium 57mg 2% Total Carbohydrate 28g 10% Total Sugars 12g Protein 2g *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.