- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced scallion (white parts only)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 cup hoisin sauce (available in the Asian-food aisle of most supermarkets)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, water, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Place a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add scallions, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add the hoisin mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into a bowl.