- nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with the cooking spray. Line the pan with 2 crisscrossed pieces of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on all sides; spray the parchment with the cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring often, over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and mix in the sugar and vanilla. One at a time, mix in the eggs; mix in the flour mixture until just combined (do not overmix).
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 28 to 32 minutes. Cool completely in the pan.
- Holding both sides of the paper overhang, lift the cake out of the pan, transfer to a cutting board, and cut into 16 squares. Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.