- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 4 cups canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 zucchini, halved and cut into spears
- lemon wedges, for serving
- special equipment: Deep-fry thermometer
- Combine the mayonnaise, chives, and seafood seasoning in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until the temperature reaches 350° F on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Whisk 1 cup of the flour, the buttermilk, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, toss the zucchini with the remaining ½ cup flour. Coat in the batter. Fry, in batches, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Serve the zucchini with the dip and lemon wedges.