- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 large slices (about 10 ounces) stale white bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Make 4 sandwiches by placing 1 layer of the cheese between 2 slices of the bread. Gently mash the sandwiches to seal in the cheese.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk and season with the salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the skillet.
- Dip 2 of the sandwiches in the egg mixture to moisten both sides and place in skillet. Cook until browned and crisp, about 4 minutes per side, pressing with a spatula to seal. Wipe pan clean, add the remaining butter, and repeat with the other 2 sandwiches. Serve immediately.