- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Butter a 10-inch tart pan with a removeable bottom.
- Pulse the walnuts into a coarse meal in a food processor or spice grinder. Transfer to nuts to a large bowl and add the flour, salt, and fennel seeds. Whisk to combine. In a separate, large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until white and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat until just combined. Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and gently fold together until smooth.
- Scrape the dough into the prepared tart pan, and smooth out the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Score the dough with a knife or pizza cutter, making 8 equal wedges, and prick all over with the tines of a fork or a wooden skewer, in order to allow steam to escape during baking. Bake for 30 minutes. Then rotate the pan and bake until golden and firm in the center, another 30-45 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and carefully cut the hot shortbread along the scored lines. Transfer wedges to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage tip: Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.