- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups stale bread (French, Italian, or white), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coat an 11-by-7-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Place the bread cubes in a single layer in the dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg or mace, and salt. Pour the milk mixture over the bread and dot with the remaining butter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake the pudding for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.