- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2½ tablespoons cardamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 6 star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon dried lemongrass (optional)
- 2½ ounces loose black tea
- Combine the nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. One by one, grind the cardamom seeds, peppercorns, cloves, star anise pods, and dried lemongrass (if using) in a spice grinder or coffee mill. Add to the nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon mixture, along with the loose black tea. Stir to combine. Transfer mixture to an airtight container and store in a cool, dark place.
Note: To brew 1 cup of chai, combine ½ cup whole milk, ½ cup water, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a low simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add 1½ tablespoons of chai tea blend. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then turn off heat and let mixture steep for 3 minutes more. To serve, strain off leaves and spices and pour tea into a mug.