- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, plus 2 tablespoons fronds
- kosher salt
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- crisps or crackers (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, fennel pieces, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mashed potatoes and broth and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree the soup in the pot using a handheld immersion blender (or, working in batches, in a standard blender).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the fennel fronds. Serve with the crisps (if desired).