- 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 carrots, peeled
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage, preferably Savoy
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- Peel the lemon. Separate the segments using a small, sharp knife. Discard any seeds. On a cutting board, chop the segments with the garlic to form a smooth paste. Transfer to a small bowl and, whisking constantly, slowly add the oil in a steady stream. Repeat with the cream. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the carrots into ribbons. In a large bowl, combine the carrots, cabbage, onion, scallions, and dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Using scissors, trim 8 of the large inner lettuce leaves into neat cup shapes and place in a bowl of ice water. Just before serving, remove the lettuce cups from the water and shake dry. Spoon the coleslaw into the cups.