- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- Large pinch saffron
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1 1/2-pound piece boneless, skinless cod
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and saffron. Cook, stirring, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cod, corn, and half-and-half. Cover and bring to a simmer. (The fish will cook through as the soup returns to a simmer.)
- Serve topped with the scallion greens.