- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (peeled, if desired), cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cups corn (from 6 ears fresh or 16 ounces frozen)
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, potatoes, and corn and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, broth, cumin, coriander, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer until pink and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into individual bowls.