- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line with 2 crisscrossed pieces of buttered parchment, leaving an overhang on all sides.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a bowl; set aside. Combine the butter and chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, whisking in between, until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake until just starting to set in the center, 25 to 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut, chocolate chips, condensed milk, almonds, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Remove the brownies from oven and top with the coconut mixture. Bake until the topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes more.
- Let cool completely in the pan. Holding the paper overhang, lift the brownies out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares.